eSafety Forum ELSA Task Force
The Objectives of ELSA in Transport
With the recognition that the public sector can play an important role in driving research and innovation and opening up new markets for innovative products and services, and to speed up the achievement of specific societal goals, the EC is considering how to support a set of focused projects of significant scale and duration that cut across the innovation cycle to develop modern pan-European service infrastructures. These initiatives, tentatively called European Large Scale Actions (ELSAs) will mobilise a critical mass of resources, including grants for R&D, pre-commercial procurement and support for innovation and deployment. In the area of ICTs, the proposal for ELSAs is contained in the Commission Communication "A new ICT R&D and innovation strategy: Raising the Game ", (COM2009(116).
In all, four ELSAs in different domains are being discussed. Each ELSA will:
- address societal challenges by modernising public services,
- defragment European markets for ICT innovation,
- speed-up time-to-market/return-on-investment for innovative ICT-based solutions,
- increase private and public investments in research and innovation,
- accelerate uptake of ICT innovations in public services.
The expected impacts of ELSAs are:
- less fragmentation on both demand and supply side, e.g. via common technical specifications,
- less likelihood for lock-in,
- faster innovation cycles, leading to expanded private and public investments,
- higher quality, more effective and efficient public and private services,
- cost and risk reduction by working together,
- cost reduction by innovative solutions.
The ELSA Task Force
The eSafety Forum Steering Group installed an ELSA Task Force on 16 December 2009. Goal of the Task Force is to deliver a second proposal to the Commission on what an ELSA in Transport should address and how this should be addressed. Representatives of the demand side (authorities and user organizations) and representatives from the supply side who are willing to contribute to an ELSA proposal can participate in the Task Force.
The proposal has to be delivered to the Commission in September 2010.
The Task Force is led by a Core Group upon invitation (mainly research institutes) and a Resonance Board (invited members from the demand side) has the task to review the proposal.
|COM (2009) 116 - A Strategy for ICT R&D and Innovation in Europe: Raising the Game
|| .pdf (48.5 KB)
| Report of the Thematic Working Group "Transport"
|| .pdf (277.5 KB)
|ELSA TF Terms of Reference
|| .pdf (20.3 KB)
|ELSA TF Working Plan
|| .pdf (149.1 KB)
|ELSA in Transport Background document
|| .doc (100.5 KB)
|ELSA Facts Sheet
|| .doc (63.5 KB)
ELSA TF Workshops
Three ELSA TF Workshops will take place in 2010.
|1st and 2nd Workshops' objectives
|| .doc (64 KB)
|1st ELSA TF Workshop
||31 March 2010
|2nd ELSA TF Workshop
||28 April 2010
3rd ELSA TF Workshop
For the documentation for this event please contact ELSA TF co-chairs.
|16 June 2010